Wednesday, June 26

The Meek Shall Inherit ...

the Earth.

Many of us know this quote from the Christian Bible. It has often perplexed me. Who are the meek? What is the real meaning behind these words? Like so many parables in the New Testament attributed to Jesus, this sentence is one to ponder.

Lucky for me (?) I experienced this phrase this morning. I say lucky because I now know what this biblical phrase means and who these people, the meek, are. Let me explain ...

Like so many others, we have been struggling with money. I was having a conversation with a man from a company I make regular payments to. Unfortunately I am behind a payment with this company so I am in contact with them weekly. Today I called only to be told I have no rights until my payments are up to date.

Okay. That's rough. What came next was thee Moment. The moment I felt like Kizzie in the movie Roots. Remember when her lifelong, childhood friend looked at her like she'd never seen her before, ordering Kizzie to get her a drink of water. She also admonished Kizzie for approaching her with familiarity. (Kizzie's response in another story!)

I had gotten angry with the way privileges are taken away when one is behind on this bill. It just is not logical, punishing my child for my being late with a payment. The man on the phone told me I was being ungrateful for the leniency the company is showing me. If I question any of the attitude given to me by the company employees, I am being ungrateful. Wow. I mean, wow. 

I know this is not what the bible teaches us. I was taught you don't kick a person when they are down. But I was being told that I deserved to be treated without compassion, without kindness. One stated, "I could treat you with compassion but what good would it do you?". Another, wow. 

Humbling myself in this situation felt awful. I could not believe what I was hearing. I clung to the words of God, knowing they would keep me afloat during the balance of the conversation.

When the conversation was over I broke down. All of the struggling we do everyday to catch up, get ahead, or just break even the household budget, searching for food to eat that won't slowly kill us. Trying for just a little nutrition. And I am told I am no better than dirt, at least not as good as they are. Not entitled to the same rights they are, not even entitled to compassion, as they seem to be trying to keep me behind with fees and penalties. 

wow ...

No comments: